Friday, March 15, 2013

Sentence Structure/Word Choice Passage in All Quiet on the Western Front

All Quiet on the Western Front Passage in Chapter 5 on Page 95


The noises without increase in volume, pass into my dream and yet linger in my memory. In a half sleep I watch Kat dip and raise the ladle. I love him, his shoulders, his angular, stooping figure-and at the same time I see behind him woods and stars, and a clear voice utters words that bring ,me peace, to me, a soldier in big boots, belt, and knapsack, taking the road that lies before him under the high heaven, quickly forgetting and seldom sorrowful, for ever pressing on under the wide night sky.


I chose this passage because I really like how it paints a perfect picture in your head of what is going on. It's imagary is so great and the way that it describes how Paul views Kat is just incredible. The details and actions that it tells us just really show what was going on in that particular scene. The way that the Author describes Kat is remarkable and how Paul loves him so much as a brother and a friend. This was just an all around great passage and also one of my favorite scenes in the entire book.

No comments:

Post a Comment